Download our flyer on Glue Ear
No air so imbalance - less drainage è more fluid
Reduced space, more pressure, less elasticity of eardrum
Thicker fluid = glue ear
Small bones can’t vibrate
é pressure from extra fluid gives pain, as does infection, which is now more likely to develop
WHAT IS GLUE EAR?
Glue ear (otitis media with effusion) is different from acute otitis media, which is a short-term ear infection often with a fever.
Both involve inflammation of the middle ear, a build-up of fluid and are common in babies and young children. Ear infections affect 4/5!
Young children are most vulnerable to glue ear because their Eustachian tubes (the passage between the middle ear and throat) are short and narrow, so can get blocked easily. Fluid secreted in the middle ear is trapped, rather than simply draining into the throat.
This congestion can cause discomfort, pain and deafness.
HOW DOES IT HAPPEN AND WHY DOES IT OCCUR?
No-one knows though colds, flu or allergies can set it off or make it worse. It is more common in winter and in boys. Allergies to milk make it worse.
CHOICES OF TREATMENT:
- Operation – Insertion of grommets – a hole in drilled into the eardrum to allow drainage. The problem is this leaves a fibrous scar. If the cause is not eliminated, the op may have to be redone with the risk of more scarring.
- Try our physical therapy treatment now being offered at Brooks-Carter Clinic. (Research by Tony Matthews)
HEARING FLOW CHART
GOALS OF PHYSICAL TREATMENT
- To reduce pain: Pain can be severe and due to excessive pressure, the ear drum may rupture.
- To reduce fluid: Dietary changes will have to happen to help this occur
- To encourage drainage: Manual techniques to assist drainage can be taught to parents to keep the situation improved and prevent further episodes.
CAUSES OF EXCESS FLUID
- Cows milk! Breast feed your baby if possible but certainly avoid cow’s milk unless your baby has four stomachs to digest it!
- Calpol causes congestion - don’t use it!
- Other allergies may be causing excess mucus production e.g. wheat, bananas
- Try eliminating a food for a month then introduce it again and note any reaction.
WHAT CAN WE DO AT BROOKS-CARTER CLINIC?
Remedial Massage addresses muscle imbalances, which occur when the body is continually fixed in one position or involved in repetitive actions – golf, tennis, piano playing, computer work, driving etc.
Remedial Massage is a treatment that can be applied specifically to help prevent an injury or the recurrence of a past injury as well as treating the injury itself.
Advanced Remedial Massage can be used to bring the body into balance using Muscle Energy Techniques which are gentle and effective.
Problems in the structure disturb the circulation and electricals throughout the body leaving the person vulnerable to many diseases.
Advanced Remedial and Sports Massage therapists treat and educate on management techniques for back and neck pain, headaches, referred pain, overuse injuries and postural complaints.
Reflexology helps the body to heal itself. Following illness, stress, injury or disease, the body is in a state of "imbalance", and vital energy pathways are blocked, preventing the body from functioning effectively. Reflexology can be used to restore and maintain the body's natural equilibrium and encourage healing.
Organs and body parts are represented on specific points on the feet thus problem areas can be treated/worked. Relaxation benefits are to be experienced!
Osteopathy deals with the structure and mechanics of the body. It has an important role to play in restoring balance and treating injuries.
After a specific injury, the body accommodates by adjusting the posture to its most pain free position, keeping the eyes level. Compensation gradually builds up until the body cannot accommodate any more change. This is when something quite trivial can cause it to break down at its weakest part e.g. shoulder, bowel.
Health depends on the maintenance of proper relationships among the various parts of the body. Imbalances in the muscles, bones, and joints influence the natural function of internal organs. What you may believe as untreatable, may well respond to osteopathy
The Osteopath has a toolkit of techniques which can be ‘custom built’ for all ages to attempt to sort out all of the above. The body has a natural healing ability – we work with that.
Naturopathy involves lifestyle including diet –and this advice is available too.
THERAPY OPTIONS AVAILABLE FOR THIS CONDITION AT BROOKS-CARTER CLINIC
- Orthopaedic Massage and Manipulation
- Advanced Remedial Massage
- Remedial & Sports Massage
- Swedish Massage
- Sports Event Massage
- On-Site Massage
- Indian Head Massage
- Thai Foot Massage
- Hot Stone Massage
- Pre/Peri-natal Massage
- Dry Needling
- Chinese Cupping
- Hopi Ear Candling
- Meta Kinetics