Download our flyer on Golfer Injuries
WHEN IS THE BEST TIME FOR A GOLFER TO HAVE A MASSAGE?
Before an injury happens! A Remedial and Sports Massage Therapist can help get you into peak condition, ease tired muscles, soothe aches and pains, encourage balance in joints – essential for THAT SWING!
- Injury is the major risk in the quest for a perfect performance; so our goal is injury prevention.
- Lack of flexibility is often linked to muscle soreness, and predisposes you to injuries, especially muscle pulls and tears.
- Heavily exercised muscles may also lose their capacity to relax
- Blood flow through tight muscles is poor, which also causes pain.
- Trigger points or stress points may also cause muscle soreness
- Early detection of potential injuries is an advantage e.g. tendons at risk.
Using Remedial and Sports Massage for regular maintenance golfers are able to sustain high levels of performance without injury. This is why top level golfers use it as an integral part of their training regime as well as pre and post tournament rounds.
Techniques to release tight bands of muscle and connective tissue, hot spots and more can help in recovery as well as restoring you to powerful pain-free golf games.
You want a balanced structure with toned muscles, ready for action.
HOW CAN REMEDIAL & SPORTS MASSAGE (RMT) HELP TO REDUCE MY HANDICAP?
- Remedial and Sports massage is individual to your golf-specific requirements
- By reducing stress, tension and anxiety, you can focus on your game and win!
- Circulation improves, enhancing elimination of wastes and maximizing the supply of nutrients and oxygen
- All this leads to better cell nutrition.
- RMT promotes flexibility, encourages stability, thus preventing injuries
- RMT eases pain and assists healing through the inflammatory processes.
- RMT eases Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness which often begins 24-48 hours after exercise. This can be caused by minor muscle or connective tissue damage, local muscle spasms that reduce blood flow or a build up of waste products from energy production.
- RMT also relieves pain associated with minor or major exertion including the injuries that spoil performance
All this means that muscles are less likely to injure and if they do, they will recover more quickly.
After you play, Remedial Massage can be used to:
- drain away fatigue
- relieve swelling
- reduce muscle tension
- speed up recovery time so you can play again soon!
AREAS MOST PRONE TO GOLFING INJURIES ARE:
- Lower back – the fulchrum of your swing!
- Elbow - pain on the inside tho’ outside pain more common – due to muscle spasm.
- Shoulder – this area needs a lot of work – for weight bearing and for swinging.
- Wrist – the way you hold your club and repetitive use can contribute pain & tingling.
- Thumb – tendons inflame at top of backswing or due to excessive cocking.
- Knee – twisting with long irons or driver can overstress the knee – young and old!
- Neck – knock on from the shoulder as well as postural problems that beset us all!
- Hip and groin can strain as a result of lack of stability.
THE MOST COMMON CAUSES OF INJURIES IN GOLFERS YOUNG AND OLD ARE:
- Too much play or practice
- Playing before an injury has recovered fully
- Poor swing mechanics e.g. overswinging
- Hitting the ground
- Too little warming up; wearing grippy shoes
- Twisting spine during the swing
- Incorrect grip or swing change
- Allowing muscles to get out of condition causing imbalances in structure
Most golfing injuries are the result of overuse or are chronic. As you see, the commonest injuries occur in the soft tissues of the body – muscles, tendons and ligaments.
Poor everyday posture and muscle imbalances result in poor technique which makes the golfer more vulnerable to injury.
WHAT CAN WE DO AT BROOKS-CARTER CLINIC?
Remedial Massage addresses muscle imbalances, which occur when the body is continually fixed in one position or involved in repetitive actions – golf, tennis, piano playing, computer work, driving etc.
Remedial Massage is a treatment that can be applied specifically to help prevent an injury or the recurrence of a past injury as well as treating the injury itself.
Advanced Remedial Massage can be used to bring the body into balance using Muscle Energy Techniques which are gentle and effective.
Problems in the structure disturb the circulation and electricals throughout the body leaving the person vulnerable to many diseases.
Advanced Remedial and Sports Massage therapists treat and educate on management techniques for back and neck pain, headaches, referred pain, overuse injuries and postural complaints.
Reflexology helps the body to heal itself. Following illness, stress, injury or disease, the body is in a state of "imbalance", and vital energy pathways are blocked, preventing the body from functioning effectively. Reflexology can be used to restore and maintain the body's natural equilibrium and encourage healing.
Organs and body parts are represented on specific points on the feet thus problem areas can be treated/worked. Relaxation benefits are to be experienced!
Osteopathy deals with the structure and mechanics of the body. It has an important role to play in restoring balance and treating injuries.
After a specific injury, the body accommodates by adjusting the posture to its most pain free position, keeping the eyes level. Compensation gradually builds up until the body cannot accommodate any more change. This is when something quite trivial can cause it to break down at its weakest part e.g. shoulder, bowel.
Health depends on the maintenance of proper relationships among the various parts of the body. Imbalances in the muscles, bones, and joints influence the natural function of internal organs. What you may believe as untreatable, may well respond to osteopathy.
The Osteopath has a toolkit of techniques which can be ‘custom built’ for all ages to attempt to sort out all of the above. The body has a natural healing ability – we work with that.
Naturopathy involves lifestyle including diet –and this advice is available too.
THERAPY OPTIONS AVAILABLE FOR THIS CONDITION AT BROOKS-CARTER CLINIC
- Advanced Remedial Massage
- Remedial & Sports Massage
- Swedish Massage
- Relaxation and Relaxation Massage
- Working with Children
- On-Site Massage
- Indian Head Massage
- Aroma Facial Massage
- Baby Massage
- Hot Stone Massage
- Pregnancy Massage
- Dry Needling
- Chinese Cupping
- Hopi Ear Candling
- Sports Event Massage
- Meta Kinetics
- Emotional Freedom Technique
- Matrix Reimprinting
- Matrix Birth Reimprinting
- Breathing Techniques
- Qi Gong
- Gift Vouchers