Download our leaflet on Osteoporosis
WHAT IS OSTEOPOROSIS?
It is a thinning of bone or reduction in bone density resulting from bone being broken down faster than it is being built up again. Bone is live tissue.
It occurs with age in both sexes but often in ladies after the menopause. It has other causes and can also happen as a side effect of taking steroids or from anorexia.
Bones lose their elasticity and become more vulnerable to fractures and cracks.
It is usually painless and the first someone knows they have it, is when something breaks.
HOW CAN I PREVENT OSTEOPOROSIS?
Keeping active and doing some activity that has resistance e.g. swimming.
It is important to keep a good circulation going. Aerobic exercise such as brisk walking and dancing will help. Keep away from running marathons!
It can run in families but always do your best to be the best you can be!
A healthy diet is essential – with lots of green vegetables. Don’t starve yourself!
Supplements including calcium, boron, vitamin D and silica help.
Don’t smoke! Reduce alcohol intake and don’t be a couch potato!
HOW CAN MASSAGE HELP ME?
- Fantastic in pain relief soothes aches and pains, improves sleep, helps promote a good circulation including to the bones themselves and keeps joints mobile.
- Eases tension and shortening in muscles. This stops them pulling abnormally on bones at joints causing more imbalance and more likely to injure
- Helps in drainage of the products of metabolism. This makes room for the oxygenated blood and the chemicals responsible for growth and repair. Helps in stimulating bowel activity.
- Assists the lymphatic system acting upon and eradicating toxins that build up in the body e.g. lactic acid.
- Improves everyday posture by working on muscle imbalances (possibly due to humpback postures) that cause pain.
- Improves breathing via working respiratory muscles.
- Soothes aches and pains.
- By reducing tension and anxiety. If the body is calmer and the sufferer feels better, the body heals more easily.
- Feel good factor helps to flood the body with ‘feel good’ hormones – the body has its own pharmacy!!
- Increasing bone density loss – hence the fractures and cracks in bad cases plus a lot of spasm and irritation in the soft tissues - all extremely painful.
- Vulnerability to fractures as a result of very little stress, e.g:
- Hip, often the first injury is a fractured neck of femur
- Vertebrae/back bones – fractures here spinal bone height when it affects spinal vertebrae.
- Humpback posture restricts the chest cavity and results from wedging of vertebrae as they shorten at the front, resulting in decreased overall height
- Breathing difficulties due to cracks in ribs and increased stooping which constrict air passages.
- Reduced mobility – also due to muscle spasm in compensating areas
- Chronic pain i.e. pain that lasts beyond the expected time for healing and interferes with normal life.
- Imbalances in structure due to the poor posture that is occurring.
WHAT CAN WE DO AT BROOKS-CARTER CLINIC?
Remedial Massage addresses muscle imbalances which occur when the body is continually fixed in a permanent position or involved in repetitive actions
Remedial Massage is a treatment that can be applied specifically to help prevent an injury or the recurrence of a past injury as well as treating the injury itself.
Advanced Remedial Massage can be used to bring the body into balance using Muscle Energy Techniques which are gentle and effective.
Problems in the structure disturb the circulation and electricals throughout the body leaving the person vulnerable to many diseases.
Advanced Remedial and Sports Massage therapists treat and educate on management techniques for back and neck pain, headaches, referred pain, overuse injuries and postural complaints
Reflexology helps the body to heal itself. Following illness, stress, injury or disease, the body is in a state of "imbalance", and vital energy pathways are blocked, preventing the body from functioning effectively. Reflexology can be used to restore and maintain the body's natural equilibrium and encourage healing.
Organs and body parts are represented on specific points on the feet thus problem areas can be treated/worked. Relaxation benefits are to be experienced!
Osteopathy is a therapy that deals with the structure and mechanics of the body. It has an important role to play in restoring balance and treating injuries. The Osteopath has a toolkit of techniques which can be adapted to sufferers of osteoporosis. Naturopathy involves lifestyle including diet – so this advice is available too.
Shiatsu is a whole body therapy that uses acupressure to release any energy blocks that may be interfering with healing. Energy runs in meridians and it is this energy we need for life, including repairing ourselves. It is done through the clothes and is fun to receive as well as very relaxing.
IS IT SAFE TO HAVE TREATMENT?
When you attend for treatment, you will be asked to give your medical history. If there is any doubt of your suitability, then your GP’s advice may be sought (with your permission of course).
If you are active, getting on and off buses, driving, going to shops etc., then come on in!
If you are suffering from frequent fractures then please ask for advice from your doctor.
However, gentle massage will assist in healing of broken bones. Healing will also help.
NOTE – WE TREAT LOTS OF PEOPLE WITH OSTEOPOROSIS AND THEY ARE DELIGHTED SO WHY NOT TRY IT TOO?
THERAPY OPTIONS AVAILABLE FOR THIS CONDITION AT BROOKS-CARTER CLINIC
- Advanced Remedial Massage
- Remedial & Sports Massage
- Swedish Massage
- Relaxation and Relaxation Massage
- Working with Children
- On-Site Massage
- Indian Head Massage
- Aroma Facial Massage
- Baby Massage
- Hot Stone Massage
- Pregnancy Massage
- Dry Needling
- Chinese Cupping
- Hopi Ear Candling
- Sports Event Massage
- Meta Kinetics
- Emotional Freedom Technique
- Matrix Reimprinting
- Matrix Birth Reimprinting
- Breathing Techniques
- Qi Gong
- Gift Vouchers