WHAT IS SHIATSU? .....................AND WHAT DOES IT DO?
Shiatsu is energy work that works to balance you so that the body can heal itself as it is designed to do.
- Originating in Japan around 530BC, Shiatsu follows the Chinese Medicine dogma that illness occurs when the person is out of sync with nature and the way they were intended to be.
- Similar to acupuncture, it works to regulate the flow of energy or ‘qi’ thus maintaining health in all ages. Qi is the vital energy in the body that underlies all functions.
- Qi flows in specific pathways known as meridians
- Shiatsu practitioners can detect which meridians are too energised and those which are lacking in energy. Either imbalance can lead to blocks to healing and what we call disease.
- Thus shiatsu can keep us healthy by allowing the practitioner to balance our energies BEFORE WE HAVE SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS!
- Specific points called Tsubos) are pressed on the major meridians of the body to cause energy to flow more easily. Areas can become congested. This congestion can contribute or cause many signs and symptoms including the circulation itself.
- Pressing on certain points can lower stress levels dramatically. Lowering stress levels is the key to all healing
- Allowing better energy to flow, brings about a rejuvenating effect that gives us more energy
- Redirecting ‘qi’ helps the mind too. The busy mind can often not let go of its worries. Shiatsu helps a person feel more centred, strong and confident.
- Stressful emotions can be calmed e.g. grief, allowing a more gentle letting go/release resulting in a feeling of peace.
- Shiatsu helps with relaxation which so many find difficult.
- Relaxation effects make breathing more efficient. We can affect our health by changing our breathing to breathe into the abdomen rather than up in the upper chest. This is good practice.
- Improving circulation will assist in reducing inflammation.
- Pressing on certain relevant points (depending on the site) will help to relieve pain. Others ease tension in muscles and stiffness in joints.
- Specific points help to stimulate digestion and absorption. This means that toxins are released from the body more easily and nutrients are utilized more readily
IF OUR ENERGY IS LACKING, OVER EXCITED OR ‘BLOCKED’ WE ARE PROBABLY SUFFERING FROM FATIGUE, HYPERACTIVITY OR SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF DIS-EASE SUCH AS INFLAMMATION, CONSTIPATION AND PAIN
WHEN SHOULD I COME? THE SOONER THE BETTER !
Regular Shiatsu can help you move forward feeling more confident, strong and with renewed vitality.
ALL Bodywork encourages the body to release its own pharmacy of anti-inflammatories and feel good hormones.
A Shiatsu Practitioner also uses the 5 Elements – another useful ancient oriental diagnostic and healing tool as each element, (like the meridians) support each other, namely: Fire, Wood, Metal, Water and Earth.
Who would benefit?
We could list the many signs and symptoms that affect people’s lives negatively.
However, the most important point is that Shiatsu treats the WHOLE PERSON. It is working to balance the mind, body and emotions as these cannot be separated (as they often are in orthodox medicine.) Nothing is separate from the other.
This explains why so many are delighted with the improvement in constipation, painful arthritic joints, headaches, overwhelm, anxiety, obsessing about work, memory problems, period pain, nausea, asthma and so on.
Specific acupressure points are pressed in painful conditions encouraging the body to release healing chemicals which relieves pain and helps the body to heal itself using its own natural healing healing energy. Your shiatsu practitioner will use Thai style stretching and trigger point work to help ease your pain or signs and symptoms. Clearing blockages in the energy meridians will help your overall health and improve energy levels.
Treatment is non-invasive so really is a great option for long or short term problems or to improve general health. Try Shiatsu before you embark on drugs and invasive explorations and treatment.