WHAT IS TENNIS ELBOW?
Tennis elbow is a strain of the tendons connecting the outside of the elbow joint. The outer elbow becomes sore and this can progress to a long term problem. You don’t have to play tennis to get it and its other name is lateral epicondylitis. Muscles attach to tendons so these need to be worked to reduce the additional strain from tension.
The strain to the muscles and tendons put stress on other arm muscles and you may not be able to lift or grip things. Pain may come on with the activitiy which isn't always tennis! Painting ceilings is a common cause.
It means that there has been a repetitive strain going through the elbow for a period of time. This can be due to poor and sustained posture or previous injury of the elbow wrist or shoulder. If there is a strain going through a muscle or tendon it will react as if there has been an injury. There will be inflammation and the body will try to ‘heal’ it. The problem is that the tendons will in fact tighten further because of the chemicals released in the inflammatory process. This then adds to the problem as the surrounding muscles are put under strain.
Prevention is always better than cure and a regular Swedish or Remedial and Sports Massage is recommended. Warming up before any activity is advised along with stretching before and after.
If you are playing tennis, squash and/or badminton then do ensure that your racket is the right size for your hand to grip.
Getting treatment as soon as possible after signs and symptoms start is advised.
- Injury is the major risk in the quest for a perfect performance; so our goal is injury prevention.
- Lack of flexibility is often linked to muscle soreness, and predisposes you to injuries, especially muscle pulls and tears.
- Heavily exercised muscles may also lose their capacity to relax
- Blood flow through tight muscles is poor, which also causes pain.
- Trigger points or stress points may also cause muscle soreness
- Early detection of potential injuries is an advantage e.g. tendons at risk.
HOW CAN REMEDIAL & SPORTS MASSAGE (RMT) HELP ME WIN?
- Remedial and Sports massage is individual to your tennis-specific requirements
- By reducing stress, tension and anxiety, you can focus on your game and win!
- Circulation improves, enhancing elimination of wastes and maximizing the supply of nutrients and oxygen
- All this leads to better cell nutrition.
- RMT promotes flexibility, encourages stability, thus preventing injuries
- RMT eases pain and assists healing through the inflammatory processes.
- RMT eases Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness which often begins 24-48 hours after exercise. This can be caused by minor muscle or connective tissue damage, local muscle spasms that reduce blood flow or a build up of waste products from energy production.
- RMT also relieves pain associated with minor or major exertion including the injuries that spoil performance
All this means that muscles are less likely to injure and if they do, they will recover more quickly.
THERAPY OPTIONS AVAILABLE FOR THIS CONDITION AT BROOKS-CARTER CLINIC
- Advanced Remedial Massage
- Remedial & Sports Massage
- Swedish Massage
- Relaxation and Relaxation Massage
- Working with Children
- On-Site Massage
- Indian Head Massage
- Aroma Facial Massage
- Baby Massage
- Hot Stone Massage
- Pregnancy Massage
- Dry Needling
- Chinese Cupping
- Hopi Ear Candling
- Sports Event Massage
- Meta Kinetics
- Emotional Freedom Technique
- Matrix Reimprinting
- Matrix Birth Reimprinting
- Breathing Techniques
- Qi Gong
- Gift Vouchers