Ankle sprain refers to the overstretching and tearing of the ankle joint structures without dislocation and is usually caused by forcible wrenching or twisting of a joint characterised by pain, swelling and loss of function. The ligaments are affected and take time to heal. Muscles will also go into spasm to protect the area.
In the acute stage, the joint needs to be rested preferably above the heart with compression and an icepack. However, the sooner the joint is mobilised the better to prevent long term weakening of ligaments and muscle wastage. Just doing gentle little movements in the painfree zone will help healing.
The next stage is the sub-acute stage where healing has started, pain and swelling are lessening. This is where massage comes in. In the sub-acute stage, we massage the joint above at first and then gently over the painful area. This should encourage a reduction in pain as well as an increase in drainage - both absolutely essential for good healing to occur. We will encourage you to move through your painfree zone and do gentle stretches – pain allowing and then improve rehabilitation.
Chronic Ankle Pain can occur when the healing hasn't been complete. Remedial and Sports Massage will ease painful muscle spasm and free the ankle so that it can move with less or preferably, no pain.
- warm up before you start any activity
- check your posture – relax!
- take frequent breaks – a quick stretch and shake
- change activity or at least position when you can – even a few minutes will make a difference
- reduce weight – if you have pounds to lose
- learn how to look after your feet and ankles with stretching and mobilising exercises
- keep moving, walking is great exercise - stretch before and after
If you feel pain in your ankle – even if it doesn’t seem too bad – get it treated as soon as possible
ANKLE PAIN AND SWEDISH MASSAGE:
- reduces muscle spasm so encourages balance in joints.
- relieves pain
- with less pain, joints can be used more
- increases movement ensuring that synovial fluid is secreted, which is essential for a healthy joint as the articular cartilage does not have a blood supply.
- keeps joints mobile which helps to prevent arthritis.
- increases blood flow to the structures of the joint
- increases drainage.
- also helps via the special sensory receptors around the joint telling the brain where the joint is, in terms of space and the movement it is capable of producing.
A regular Swedish Massage will relax, increase awareness and reduce stress – wonderful and excellent prevention
ANKLE PAIN AND REMEDIAL & SPORTS MASSAGE
- to reduce pain and encourage relaxation in the tissues surrounding the ankle
- to relieve tension in leg muscles that are linked to the bones of the ankle and foot
- to balance muscles that are causing problems and to detect and remove trigger points that may be preventing the body from healing itself
- to improve overall body functioning especially circulation to chronically inflamed areas thus speeding up repair
- to cause a release of the body’s own painkillers.
ANKLE PAIN & OSTEOPATHY
Osteopaths use palpatory techniques to discover what is causing an imbalance leading to your knee pain. They use a variety of techniques, some may cause clicking sounds others are more like stretching and specially applied movements. The Osteopath will check your whole structure looking for the cause of the problem. Advanced Remedial Massage and/or Muscle Energy Techniques may be included.
By improving the condition of the back many other conditions often disappear or reduce. The pain of osteoporosis or arthritis may well be eased as muscle spasm is reduced. Anyone who has experienced angina knows that muscle spasm is very painful!!
ANKLE PAIN & SHIATSU
- Similar to acupuncture, Shiatsu works to regulate the flow of energy or ‘qi’ thus maintaining health in all ages. Qi is the vital energy in the body that underlies all functions.
- Qi flows in specific pathways known as meridians
- Shiatsu practitioners can detect which meridians are too energised and those which are lacking in energy. Either imbalance can lead to blocks to healing and also to what we call disease.
- Specific points relative to the presenting pain are pressed on the major meridians of the body to cause energy to flow more easily. This combined with acupressure, trigger points and Thai style stretching makes this a is very effective treatment.
- This explains why so many are delighted with the improvement in constipation, painful arthritic joints, headaches, overwhelm, anxiety, obsessing about work, memory problems, period pain, nausea, asthma and so on.
ANKLE PAIN & REFLEXOLOGY
- to balance, relax and re-energise,
- to work the ankle points on the foot,
- to reduce tension ,
- to improve circulation ,
- to improve nutrition bringing the body’s healing agents to damaged areas,
- to improved elimination in inflamed areas and generally,
- to reduce pain
THERAPY OPTIONS AVAILABLE FOR THIS CONDITION AT BROOKS-CARTER CLINIC
- Advanced Remedial Massage
- Remedial & Sports Massage
- Swedish Massage
- Relaxation and Relaxation Massage
- Working with Children
- On-Site Massage
- Indian Head Massage
- Aroma Facial Massage
- Baby Massage
- Hot Stone Massage
- Pregnancy Massage
- Dry Needling
- Chinese Cupping
- Hopi Ear Candling
- Sports Event Massage
- Meta Kinetics
- Emotional Freedom Technique
- Matrix Reimprinting
- Matrix Birth Reimprinting
- Breathing Techniques
- Qi Gong
- Gift Vouchers